Agnes dress hack

One of my favourite go-to patterns is the Tilly and the Buttons Agnes top. It is the perfect shape jersey top, with enough variations to keep it interesting. I love the shape of it and it is great for work paired with trousers or a skirt or more casually under a dungaree dress.

If I use a busy print, I tend to stick with the classic neckline, but it I use a plain fabric, then I like to add in the ruching detail at the front to add a bit of interest.

As One Week One Pattern is coming up, I thought I would join in this year using the Agnes as my chosen base pattern. If you haven’t heard of it, Sheona from Sewisfaction is running this year’s challenge, and sewists are tasked with wearing one pattern for one week and documenting it. You can style your chosen pattern however you like, and can add whatever twists and turns and hacks you like. There are more details over on Sheona’s website.

I have already made a couple of hacks to the Agnes pattern. I made a lace cap sleeve version and also altered it to make it into a vest pattern. So my next step was to turn it into a dress.

As the Agnes is already curved out at the hips, I just followed that line down and then brought it back in again towards the knee, to form a pencil skirt shape. I used the same skirt piece for both front and back.

I decided not to use a very fine jersey as I knew it would be quite clingy and would show every lump and bump (I have very prominent hip bones). I found this great textured jersey from Fabricland that I thought would be stretchy enough for the pattern but also have enough body.

It was really easy to work with, despite being fairly thick. I did account for the extra bulk by narrowing the seam allowances to 3/8 inch and it worked really well.

I had a matching colour rib grey jersey that I chose to use for the neckband as I thought it would sit better than the textured jersey. I also decided to shorted the sleeves slightly and make ribbed cuffs too for a bit of interest and then I just coverstitched the hem below the knee.

Overall, I have to say I am really pleased with the finished result. It is lovely and warm and I think it will be fab with tights and boots for Wintery days.

I am really looking forward to the One Week One Pattern challenge at the end of the month when I will get to showcase all of my (at last count 12) Agnes’s! Is anyone else joining in? If so, which pattern have you gone with?

S x

5 thoughts on “Agnes dress hack

  1. This is lovely, I really like the ribbed neckline and cuffs. I’m joining in with OWOP with the Dixie DIY Ballet dress I think. Though I’ll need to make a couple more and work on some of the hacks I have planned.

  2. It’s really nice! Wow, 12 Agnes tops, no wonder you’re so quick at making them. My fave is the coco. I’ve made 4 tops and 1 dress, so I suppose I could participate, I’ll check the rules on Sheona’s website. Other than that it’s the Cleo, 3 of those. xx

  3. It looks amazing! It’s so flattering, and I absolutely love that fabric. The colour is so nice, as is the texture. Overall, this looks like such a perfect make!

    1. thank you so much! x

  4. […] Another Agnes hack for a day of meetings. This is  my most recent Agnes, and I hacked the pattern to turn it into a dress. I wrote a blog post about it a while ago, so if you are interested in how I did it, head here! […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *